Re: On package-install x package-install-selected-packages

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: On package-install x package-install-selected-packages
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 09:13:59 -0500

> On package.el, the 'package-install' calls
> 'package--archives-initialize' to initialize the archive contents, but
> 'package-install-selected-packages' does not calls it, relying on users
> to initialize the archive contents by themselves. I could not find any
> documentation about this difference. Should we modify
> 'package-install-selected-packages' to call
> 'package--archives-initialize' ?

Yes, please.

> Or add some flag to control this behavior ?

No please.

> Also, 'package-install-selected-packages' always asks for a confirmation
> to install or not the packages. Can we add an option to skip this
> confirmation ?

No strong opinion on this one.  The confirmation doesn't seem too
harmful because I presume it's not a frequent operation, and it takes
a while, and it's not necessarily the case that the user knows
beforehand what will be installed, but admittedly the prompt only tells
how many packages are to be installed, not which ones.

        Stefan