Re: master 050b830 3/3: Do interactive mode tagging for finder.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 050b830 3/3: Do interactive mode tagging for finder.el
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 11:23:38 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: stefan@marxist.se,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 10:05:48 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I guess the disagreement is about what exactly does "mode-specific"
> > mean here.
>
> If there are unclear points in the manual under
>
>   21.2.4 Specifying Modes For Commands
>
> I can try to clarify.

Just what I wrote above: that subsection talks about commands "tied to
a mode", or commands that can be used "in pretty much any mode", or
make no sense "outside" of a mode, or commands that "belong to a
mode", without clarifying what that means.

My interpretation of the notion of "being in the FOO mode" is that the
current buffer has FOO as its major mode.  Under that interpretation,
commands that can only be invoked by mouse gestures cannot be
"mode-specific", because such commands normally can be invoked while
the current buffer is any buffer under any mode.  The relevant buffer
is provided by the mouse event, not by the current buffer.