Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!

From: Miha Rihtaršič
Subject: Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 13:49:19 +0100

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

>> No, I'm saying that the initial frame is never deleted.  At least
>> that's my recollection.
>
> So, when a new frame is created (possibly with emacsclient), and there
> are now exactly two frames, we want to copy any minibuffers from the
> other frame to the new one when that other frame is the initial frame.

Just giving a heads up that trouble may arise when moving a minibuffer
from one terminal to another (from tty to X for example).
This is judging from the following comment that I stumbled upon when
reading function `server-goto-toplevel':

;; We're inside a minibuffer already, so if the emacs-client is trying
;; to open a frame on a new display, we might end up with an unusable
;; frame because input from that display will be blocked (until exiting
;; the minibuffer).  Better exit this minibuffer right away.

`emacsclient ~/foo' causes a throw to top-level in most cases before
spawning a new frame to avoid some trouble, but I'm not sure if this
trouble applies for our case.