Proposal to remove C-o binding [was: Suggested experimental test]

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Proposal to remove C-o binding [was: Suggested experimental test]
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 12:37:55 +0000

Hello, Gregory.

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 09:03:39 +0000, Gregory Heytings wrote:

> > This concludes our first experimental test on the devel branch.  The
> > amount of feedback wasn't overwhelming, but we did get some -- and I
> > guess the `M-o' command wasn't very popular, so I'm not really that
> > surprised.

I anticipate there will be quite a lot of resentment about this when we
release Emacs 28.1.

> > So I think it was a moderately successful experiment, and we should use
> > this way of trying out user interface changes more.

Hmm.

> May I suggest the attached, slightly more controversial, experimental
> test?

I suggest it remains just a suggestion - at least for now.  We won't know
how well or badly the removal of M-o will go until after the release of
Emacs 28.

C-o is a much used binding.  Replacing it with the less convenient C-o
C-o binding is going to annoy people greatly.

Also, we don't really need to free up C-o - we've already got all of M-o
unused.  Where is this all going to stop?

[ .... ]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).