Re: Suggested experimental test

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Suggested experimental test
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 14:14:42 +0300

* Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> [2021-03-20 12:04]:
> +            "We've disabled the normal `C-o' binding for a month (until
> April\n"
> +            "23th, 2021) in the development version of GNU Emacs,
> while keeping\n

Yes, go ahead and make the test, why not. I like testing, but I also
do not like changing this C-o to anything else than what it is. This
time I will immediately revert it back due to how many times I use C-o
in Emacs. C-o is in other editors because of Emacs standard
keybindings also in many other Emacs related editors. I use zile
editor, and mg editor and e3em editor depeding on what system I am,
console or GUI, and if Emacs is installed or not. In all those editors
I use C-o

Also is one test like M-o now suppposed to endorse many new tests that
are going against standard and well used keybindings.

Imagine just how that impacts people who depend on instructions spread
all over Internet for Emacs standard key bindings.

Rutgers School of Arts and Sciences publishes it:
https://resources.cs.rutgers.edu/docs/emacs-command-summary/

Yale has article "How to use Emacs" in the clas
https://zoo.cs.yale.edu/classes/cs210/help/emacs.html

Stanford:
http://www-tcad.stanford.edu/local/DOC/emacs_21.html

Michigan State University:
https://www.cse.msu.edu/Resources/Facilities/Howto/TextEditing.php

Columbia:
https://cuit.columbia.edu/emacs

Before making proposals out of the blue, I suggest that from a list of
all key bindings then make:

- a list of very basic standard and wide spread key bindings shall be
  made, that most probably should not change, as that is where one has
  to be reluctant. C-f is a sample member of this list, IMHO C-o as
  well.

- with a list of other keys possible for some changes due to their
  improper placement, as we have seen that M-o was improperly placed
  globally instead of only in enriched mode.

- do tests on the latter.

Jean