Re: Org mode behavior change in 27.2 (org-adapt-indentation)

From: Mike Kupfer
Subject: Re: Org mode behavior change in 27.2 (org-adapt-indentation)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 11:34:13 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > From: Mike Kupfer <mkupfer@alum.berkeley.edu>
> > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 11:04:08 -0700
> >
> > I upgraded from 27.1 to 27.2-rc2 over the weekend and noticed that Org
> > mode behaves differently, even with "emacs -Q".
> >
> > In 27.1, if I visit foo.org and type "* header RET", point is put in the
> > first column.  In 27.2, point is put in column 3.
> >
> > This behavior is apparently controlled by org-adapt-indentation, which
> > is t in both 27.1 and 27.2.  So maybe the behavior change is the result
> > of a bug fix?  Should this be documented in NEWS somewhere?
>
> Which NEWS are you reading, though?  Org has its own news, see
> etc/ORG-NEWS.

It looks like Emacs 27.1 has Org 9.3, whereas Emacs 27.2 has Org 9.4.  I
don't see anything in the 9.4 section of ORG-NEWS that calls out the
change in behavior.  There's some discussion about a new allowed value
for org-adapt-indentation, but it doesn't seem to imply that the
behavior has changed when org-adapt-indentation is t.

BTW, what's the expected mechanism for a user to view ORG-NEWS?  I see
that it's installed into the "share" tree, but I don't see how to view
it via Help or Info.  (I can open a bug about this if it would be
helpful.)

thanks,
mike