Re: Org mode behavior change in 27.2 (org-adapt-indentation)

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: Org mode behavior change in 27.2 (org-adapt-indentation)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 07:55:31 +0100

Mike Kupfer <mkupfer@alum.berkeley.edu> writes:

>> This is actually a side effect of org now honouring
>> electric-indent-mode.
>
> Ah, I see now.  I didn't even realize electric-indent-mode was
> enabled--it doesn't appear in the minor mode list in the modeline, nor
> does it appear in the minor mode mode-line menu. :-(

FWIW, Bastien supports changing the default value of
org-adapt-indentation to 'headline-data[1], which roughly means "do not
indent regular text; only indent :DRAWERS:".  AFAICT the change has not
been made yet because 'headline-data still has a few issues to iron out.

This additional change would probably have helped prevent the uproar we
saw on the org-mode mailing list (… and the uproar yet to come once 27.2
is released).

(Also FWIW, the .dir-locals.el file at the top of org-mode's repository
sets org-adapt-indentation to nil; that might say something about the
opinion of Org developers as to the "canonical" indentation of Org
documents)

[1] https://orgmode.org/list/874kkgie3e.fsf@gnu.org/