Re: Suggested experimental test

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Suggested experimental test
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 14:08:52 -0400

   >> I see your points, but all this is rather sad, because it means that
   >> Emacs is forever locked by what looks very much like a historical
   >> accident.
   >
   > I disagree, on both counts: Emacs isn't locked, and what we have is not
   > an accident.

   I think you understood what I meant: the "C-o" key is locked in the
   default bindings, and the fact that "C-o" was bound to open-line is a
   historical accident.

C-o is bound where it is because when Emacs was written, someone --
most probpobly RMS -- bound it there, so it isn't really a historical
accident but rather an active design decision. There is also a reason
why C-x C-o where it is.