Re: 'M-o' ('facemap-keymap') has now been removed until March 10th 2021

From: Paul W. Rankin
Subject: Re: 'M-o' ('facemap-keymap') has now been removed until March 10th 2021
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 01:53:58 +1000

> On 25 Mar 2021, at 1:40 am, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>
>> I'm responding to a very narrow issue Gregory raised, which was that yanking
>> a defun from an emacs-lisp-mode into a text-mode-buffer, then deactivating
>> font-lock-mode did not remove what he considers to be fontification. To me,
>> this makes sense because text-mode does not fontify most text, thus any text
>
> Yes, but the question is not whether it makes sense but whether it's
> desirable.
> If it's not desirable than it doesn't matter whether we provide/preserve
> this behavior.

I see. Yes I think it's desirable. For me the desirable aspect is the
distinction between text props and font-lock. Moreover I think the degree to
which a thing makes sense also contributes to its desirability (if that makes
sense).

And the undesirable aspects of the font-lock-update command the misleading
side-effects: that it removed things and/or deactivated a minor mode. Put these
things in other commands if they're going on C-x.