Re: Suggested experimental test

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suggested experimental test
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 19:04:00 +0200

> Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 12:13:17 +0100
> From: tomas@tuxteam.de
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> It's more the intensity of bad feelings on (mostly) both
> sides, the "oldtimers" on the one fearing someone's out to
> eat their lunch, the "newcomers" on the other, pushing their
> new, shiny idea and frustrated that "progress is impossible"
> at every (often well-founded!) pushback... well, we see that
> time and again.

I see no problem with intense feelings, as long as they are expressed
in a civilized and polite form.  And AFAICT, they generally are in
this thread.  (The rest of what you wrote above is stuff no one
actually said, it looks like your interpretation of the social
dynamics here.  Which is fine, but it's your interpretation, not
necessarily what really goes on.  And even if it does, I wouldn't
start discussing these aspects, they are only tangentially relevant,
and moreover, we cannot really do anything about them.)

It is true that we sometimes have discussions here that end up in
flames, but this one is not one of them, nowhere near that, actually.
Thus, Lars's comment should have been enough to respond to a remark
that could have bordered on an insult (although I'm quite sure that
was never the intent).  No need to second it, not in this thread.
Exaggeration in these matters is as bad as indifference, IME.

> Now, I think it's OK to have strong feelings about one's
> main and favourite tool, but perhaps we could try to develop
> some genuine understanding [1] for each other's pain points
> and just be a bit... nicer to each other.

We do, but don't expect that to be 110% bulletproof, as even the most
innocent jokes and wording nuances are known to offend someone,
somewhere.  The only way never to risk offense is to keep silent.