Re: Suggested experimental test

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Suggested experimental test
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 09:51:14 +0100

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 09:34:44AM +0100, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> "Paul W. Rankin" via "Emacs development discussions."
> <emacs-devel@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> May I suggest the attached, slightly more controversial, experimental test?
> >
> > Along this same vein, I suggest that we unbind the `e' key from
> > self-insert-command and instead make it insert the string "Emacs " 17
> > times, e.g.
>
> This isn't helpful.  People should be able to make suggestions on
> emacs-devel without being ridiculed, and stuff like this makes
> emacs-devel seem like a very hostile environment.

Agreed. There is a lot of ungood karma around in this thread, which
is a pity. I can understand the different POVs, but folks, could you
try to calm a bit down?

I do understand that keybindings /is/ a hot topic. It'll keep coming
back time and again. It's worth being discussed time and again, IMHO,
because it is at some intersection of tech and social: those fields
change, therefore re-discussion is necessary.

It would be far more pleasant [1] if such discussions happened without
us hurting each other :-)

Cheers

[1] and efficient -- but I'm a hedonist ;-P

 - t