Re: modus-themes ELPA and etc/themes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: modus-themes ELPA and etc/themes
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 17:41:34 -0400

> I envision that more themes will go the way of modus-themes (and at
> the time you more or less said the same), so I think it would be good
> to design and implement support for such themes in package.el now,
> that we have a real-life example.

I'm not sure what extra support for it you want in `package.el`.
`package.el` already works great to install modus-themes as well as
many other themes available from ELPA.

The problem here is with the themes we bundle with Emacs, because these
are not installed in the normal way (e.g. they're not `load-path` and
they're not scrubbed by autoload.el).

> I'd like to keep themes in their current location.  Where this
> requires additional infrastructure for themes that do something
> special, I think we should add such an infrastructure.

The current problem is not due to modus-themes doing something special,
but to the need to record the version of modus-themes that we bundle so
that we can compare it to the versions available from ELPA.  The problem
already existed for other themes, such as `leuven` which we bundle
without telling package.el.

I opened a bug for that.

        Stefan