Re: Sv: Emacs HTTP libraries [was: Re: How to contribute new package to

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Sv: Emacs HTTP libraries [was: Re: How to contribute new package to GNU ELPA?]
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 08:54:13 +0300

> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <cpitclaudel@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 15:53:21 -0400
>
> > So it seems like Emacs networking is not so slow, at least in this
> > simple benchmark.
>
> Not if you turn off garbage collection, indeed (except for the fact that you
> pay for it later on), but wouldn't a native library remove that GC pressure?

I don't see how: eventually, you'd need to cons Lisp objects from the
stuff received from the wire, this way or another.

In any case, if the conclusion is that the problem is GC (or maybe
something related, like reallocating the buffer into which we
accumulate the received stuff), we can probably find an easy enough
solution.  But I'm not sure yet this is the problem.