Re: src/nsterm.m: fix window tabbing on macOS

From: Paul W. Rankin
Subject: Re: src/nsterm.m: fix window tabbing on macOS
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 15:46:54 +1000

On 2021-05-13 07:23, Alan Third wrote:
You are correct. I only looked at the nextstep/README file today.

Given that tabs look much a part of the macOS window system I think/hope a person's first assumption would be that it's an Apple thing and hopefully
first burn out their ire on Apple forums/reddits/etc. Nevertheless, we
shouldn't inhibit all for the failings of a few.

Yes, I suppose we could put it in NEWS and hope that enough people see
it there to cover us in places like reddit.

Agreed. People like reading about new features (or "features").

The only thing that's a little weird is that this tab bar is not visible when in full screen, requiring moving the mouse up to reveal it. It would clearer what's happening if the tab bar behaved more like Terminal.app when in full screen: opening more than a single tab keeps the tab bar visible (in
full screen or windowed).

Isn't that how all the window chrome works in fullscreen? Do we do
some special thing to hide the toolbar? Perhaps we should rethink that
(although enough people run in fullscreen all the time that I suspect
that change would be genuinely contentious).

You're right and I can't find another macOS app with a tab bar that behaves the way Emacs.app does, so I gotta assume there is something somewhere overriding the Cocoa window manager behaviour. But I'm really only qualified to guess; I looked through nsterm.m and changed a few suspected BOOL values and recompiled a few times but nothing had an effect on the hidden tab bar.

Relatedly, tool-bar-mode is in the same boat; hidden in full screen, but probably shouldn't be.

If you just remove it completely does it do anything different from
your patch?

It appears that removing the code has the same effect as NSWindowTabbingModeAutomatic. I like minimalism so happy to just remove it.