Native Compilation And External Packages

From: T.V Raman
Subject: Native Compilation And External Packages
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 09:28:01 -0700

Q: How does one write a Makefile rule for native compilation of .el
files in a 3rd party (external) package?

Reason I ask:

At present, native compilation produces warnings when the compilation
happens on load -- the same warnings dont appear if you compile the
code with batch-byte-compile replaced with batch-native-compile.

The Makefile in the Emacs source tree is complex because of generation
via automake etc -- would be nice to:

1. For developers of unbundled packages to be able to test their code
   for warnings with a native compile done via  a Makefile.

   2. Would also be nice if warnings from byte-compilation could be
      consistent with  native-compilation -- I'd be happy with either solution.
--

Thanks,

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

--