Re: not quite understanding input methods

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: not quite understanding input methods
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 11:14:17 +0200

On Wed, Sep 01 2021, Yuri Khan wrote:
> My point (which some will find offensive) is that maybe one doesn’t
> need to implement input methods in Emacs.
>
> If you have Compose in Emacs, it works in Emacs. If you have Compose
> in XKB, it works across your whole desktop.

Except that for some reason, XKB Compose doesn't work for me in Emacs...

Plus, hitting <AltGr " a> is still one key press more than <" a>. Of course I
could use an X keyboard layout that has dead keys, but that has its own
problems.

And, as tomas says, Emacs' input methods are more powerful and much easier to
adapt.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments