Re: not quite understanding input methods

From: André A . Gomes
Subject: Re: not quite understanding input methods
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 16:19:10 +0300

João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:

> Even when they are, they don't work the same way across operating
> systems, whereas Emacs' portuguese-prefix does, perfectly predictably.

Exactly!

This is a tangent topic, but let me share my experience.  I don't use
any portuguese IM for a long time.  To type in any latin-based language
I use the "us altgr-intl" IM and the compose key when needed (seldom).
Of course that such a solution makes sense when one is willing to
dismiss old muscle memory (of using the pt keyboard layout), and acquire
a new habit.

Now for the crucial point.  Do you go back forth the US and PT IM a lot?
In other words, how often do you type "cora;ão"?

Or do you use the "portuguese-prefix exclusively inside of Emacs?

I'm trying to gather some user-experience when it comes to my toy
project regarding input methods in Emacs.  Thanks.

--
André A. Gomes
"Free Thought, Free World"