Re: rmail threading

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: rmail threading
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 10:16:03 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2021 23:39:05 -0400
>
> If you find thread movement commands convenient, by all means add
> them.  We are not forced to choose between summary generation and
> movement commands for handling of threads.
>
> What I said was, I'd like to use these threads via a summary.

To clarify: you want a summary of a single thread, or you want a
summary of the entire RMAIL file by its threads?

> I have 7000 messages in the RMAIL file -- to reorder them would take a
> long time.  And how would I restore the original order?

You don't.  Why would you want to? messages normally arrive in the
order of their time stamps, the only deviations are due to problems
with communications delays and servers being off-line.

> How about creating a virtual reordering without actually
> moving the messages around in the buffer?

I'm not sure it will help, but I will think about it.