Keybinding styles (was: [External] : Re: Gitlab Migration)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Keybinding styles (was: [External] : Re: Gitlab Migration)
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 09:26:15 -0400

> This would probably be a good candidate for the profiles idea.

FWIW, binding `kill-region` to `C-x` (and `copy-region-as-kill` to
`C-c`) is a hard problem in Emacs.  `cua-mode` tackles it in a pragmatic
way, and it's pretty good at it, but it comes with enough caveats that
I don't think it's a satisfactory solution.

If people are serious about trying to make Emacs easier for newcomers
accustomed to other tools, I think it might be worth developing
a package which starts with those C-<zxcv>` bindings and works its way
to create a complete new set of keybindings.

It's a work comparable to what is done for god-mode, Evil, etc... where
you'll need to have ad-hoc tweaks for many (most?all?) modes.
So it's a long-term maintenance challenge.

I keep wishing someone came up with a clever way for modes to specify
their key-bindings in such a way that Emacs can automatically derive from
it the keys to use "normally" as well as the keys to use in Evil or the
keys to use in god-mode, or the keys to use in this hypothetical new
`really-cua-mode`, ...
So as to finally address this long-term maintenance challenge.

        Stefan