Re: [External] : Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2021 18:49:38 -0400

> Con: It's not the same thing.  The `kill-ring'
>      is not what non-emacsers are used to.

[ This is all very hypothetical, so it clearly doesn't matter, but IMO
  the difference is small enough not to matter when it comes to choosing
  this key binding, IMO.  ]

> This is similar to the pros & cons for words
> in different languages that look the same or
> similar, and may (or may not) have similar
> meanings and uses, but can nevertheless be
> quite different in some respects.
>
> In French they're called "faux amis" - fake
> friends.

Nope.  "Faux amis" are words whose core meanings are just plain
different, whereas "Cut" and `kill-region` fundamentally mean pretty
much the same thing (with some minor differences).

> We should consider adopting (and improving!)  something that provides
> real improvement, not just something that's the flavor of the month
> (or the decade).

`C-x` for "Cut" has been standard for a lot more than a decade.

        Stefan