Re: Representation of the Emacs userbase on emacs-devel

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Representation of the Emacs userbase on emacs-devel
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2021 10:08:06 +0200

Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> writes:

> Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:
>
>> It is quite common practice
>> in other applications to acknowledge that peopel are comming to one's
>> application from other sites, and to give them possibility to easy
>> adaptation. If you remember the example with Blender and article from Linux
>> mag
>> I posted some time ago here, it is a good example of this. Some commercial
>> applications will offer you to use interaction model of concurring
>> applications.
>
> That's fine of course, but let me be more concrete: I don't see what
> CUA keys has to with e.g. vscode, and I don't see what else from them
> we would specifically want to imitate that aren't just general
> features found elsewhere.
Of course, but it is no just about CUA? VSCode I guess uses CUA-style, but there
were othter things discussed, like tabs vs spaces. I don't say things *has* to
be named after one or other editor either, but I do see reddit threads about
vscode/vim-like themes, configs etc, so I guess people would like to have
smothig like that.

> Perhaps you are talking about something much more extensive, to make
> Emacs behave a lot like vscode in many respects. In that case it would
> make sense to name such a profile after the editor it imitates.

Probably. I was talking more in generic terms reflecting over entire thread, I
wasn't targeting something truly concrete.

I just don't think discussion should be in terms of "sane", "better" or other
value-loaded terms. "Different" is probably the most helpful term we can use
here.