Re: Representation of the Emacs userbase on emacs-devel

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Representation of the Emacs userbase on emacs-devel
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 23:44:39 -0400

  > The goals of having Emacs "evolve and adapt" and having it stay the same
  > are inherently at odds.

That's true.  It is commonplace for an activity to have multiple goals
that are partly in conflict.  So we need to look for approaches that
allow us to get some of one and some of the other.

Adding new features that are disabled by default is one of our ways
of doing that.

Sometimes we can find specific clever ways to get a little more of both
by reconciling the desiderata.