Re: Gathering data on user preferences

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Gathering data on user preferences
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2021 07:52:20 +0000

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 07, 2021 at 01:22:46PM +1000, Tim Cross wrote:
>>
>> Recent threads on proposed changes to default settings, provision of
>> configuration profiles, surveying Emacs users etc make me wonder if we
>> could use ELPA more effectively to gather valuable data on settings of
>> interest.
>>
>> My thinking is that we could create an ELPA package [...]
>>                            [...] for users to submit details about
>> their current settings which could be used to help inform decisions
>> regarding default settings.
>
> Basically a good idea. There's well-established precedent with
> Debian's popcon [1]. At install you are asked whether you want
> to take part in it, the default being "no". So it is active
> "opt in".

[...]

> I.e. some categorising of variables into publishable and private
> (perhaps with more than just two levels? Decisions, decisions)
> seems in order (reminds one of that "safe variable" thing, doesn't
> it?).

At this point, couldn't the information attached to bug reports be
used. I remember someone making the suggestion in last years
discussion. The advantage is that there is already a lot of data
available right now, and that this data contains the evolution of trends
over a number of years.

I might also imagine that if people knew bug reports contribute to a
better representation of the entire user-base.

--
        Philip Kaludercic