Re: Question: loading code when two packages are load?

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Question: loading code when two packages are load?
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2021 16:44:35 -0500

On 08 Sep 2021, Qiantan Hong wrote:
I’ve been working on the integration of crdt.el with a few other packages (xscheme.el, comint.el). Those code only make sense when both crdt.el and the “client” package are loaded.

Is there a way to lazy load those code?

Currently I (require *client-package*) in crdt.el but that causes all client package to be loaded
when crdt.el is loaded.
Or I could remove the require but then that leaves bunch of free variable warnings (because client package haven’t been loaded) and bunch of command that is
invokable but not usable.

Would the "autoload" facility solve this problem?

See the section "Autoload" in the Elisp manual:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Autoload.html#Autoload

and this introduction:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/eintr/Autoload.html

Best regards,