Re: Documentation of tab-bar-show and friends

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Documentation of tab-bar-show and friends
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 15:02:32 +0300

> From: Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2021 22:22:44 +0300
>
> >> Generally, there are two levels of customization:
> >>
> >> 1. The global tab-bar-show that defines when to show/hide the tab bar
> >> depending on the number of tabs.  This variable affects all frames.
> >>
> >> 2. It's possible to override the aforementioned behavior
> >> by explicitly calling toggle-frame-tab-bar on a frame.
> >> Then the value of tab-bar-show has no effect on that frame.
> >
> > Then I don't understand why NEWS says
> >
> >   *** The tab bar is frame-local when 'tab-bar-show' is a number.
> >   You can show/hide the tab bar independently for each frame, according
> >   to the value of 'tab-bar-show'.
> >
> > If you say that frame-local tab bar _overrides_ tab-bar-show, then how
> > come the value of tab-bar-show is described here as _causing_ the tab
> > bar to be frame-local?
>
> The tab bar is frame-local in the sense that it is enabled/disabled
> depending on the number of its tabs.  So e.g. on a frame with one tab
> there is no tab bar, on another frame with two tabs there is a tab bar,
> when tab-bar-show is 1, and toggle-frame-tab-bar was not used.

So the heading in NEWS, viz.:

  *** The tab bar is frame-local when 'tab-bar-show' is a number.

is incorrect, and should instead say that the tab bar can be made
frame-local by using toggle-frame-tab-bar, is that correct?  Because
the above heading tells me "if tab-show is set to a number, the tab
bar becomes frame-local", which is not correct, right?

Suppose now I did use toggle-frame-tab-bar, it still only allows me
only to enable and disable the tab bar for specific frames, but the
value of tab-bar-show is still the same for all the frames that do
display the tab bar.  Correct?

Thanks.