Re: Keybinding styles

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Re: Keybinding styles
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 23:29:24 +0200

Le mercredi 15 septembre 2021, 22:15:00 CEST Richard Stallman a écrit :

>   > But I brought the subject from another perspective.  When a user
>   > runs
>   > (info-emacs-manual), shouldn't it reflect Emacs' state?  Concretely,
>   > if
>   > I rebind C-x C-f to something else, the manual should tell me.  It
>   > seems to me like a missed opportunity.
>
> That would fit into the spirit of Emacs documentation, but calling it
> a "missed opportunity" supposes that we have an opportunity to do it.
>
> Do we have an opportunity?  Maybe, but I tend to doubt it.  I tend to
> think that doing this correctly is a big job; a simple search and
> replace will get confused and make mistakes.
>
> I could be mistaken.  If it turns out to be easy, why not?  But I don't
> think this is important enough to be worth a lot of work.

Don’t we already have a special markup in texinfo for keybindings?
otherwise we ought to: we control texinfo (essentially used for emacs and
some other popular gnu stuff (since it’s used by gnu stuff)), and the main
implementation already is emacs.

We could add some markup to contextualize the origin of keybindings (for
instance what mode/software the current section is talking about)