Re: [External] : Re: Gitlab Migration

From: André A . Gomes
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2021 17:07:06 +0300

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> I would love to enable an option to use Emacs commands in Firefox.  Is
> there one?

I apologise if you're aware of everything that follows.  I've been in
this "quest" for some time too.

1. It's possible to use (a subset of) Emacs readline keybindings on any
GTK program (including Firefox).  You can use C-{a,e,f,b}, M-{f,b} and
the like on text input fields (including the address bar).  It's not
possible to pass numerical prefixes, or to use mark commands such as
C-SPC (a pain indeed).  This is easy to configure, see
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GTK#Emacs_key_bindings.

2. For page movements ({M,C}-v), you'd need a browser extension such as
Saka key, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/saka-key/.

3. The ultimate solution would be to surrender to EXWM (Emacs X Window
Manager), and to its simulation keys.

--
André A. Gomes
"Free Thought, Free World"