Re: Emacs default bindings

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Emacs default bindings
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2021 15:52:30 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> This should be a fairly small change, implementation-wise. If we
> wanted to do that before the release branch is cut, I don't see a
> problem.

It should be done anyway, so the sooner fixed the better (and if we do
change the default, we definitely shouldn't wait).

>> (And there's also some other open bugs for the mode in interactions with
>> other stuff, but I haven't looked closely at that.)
>
> If you find something notable, please tag me in the
> discussion.

Will do.

> show-paren-mode has been pretty solid for me over the
> years, but of course there might be very different workflows out
> there. It can also be semi-broken in some specific major modes, which
> change show-paren-function (e.g. SMIE based ones with buggy
> grammars). But those should "simply" be fixed.

Yeah, most features in Emacs work well by themselves -- most of the
problems come from unintended interactions with other features, and we
don't know what those failure modes are until people has tested it in
real life situations (since nobody has the same setup).