Re: Emacs default bindings

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Emacs default bindings
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 18:34:40 +0100

On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 5:10 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
> > Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 16:53:57 +0200
> > Cc: "Philip K." <philipk@posteo.net>, Daniel Fleischer <danflscr@gmail.com>,
> >  Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>,
> >  Elias Mårtenson <lokedhs@gmail.com>,
> >  Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com>, Emacs developers
> > <emacs-devel@gnu.org>,
> >  Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>, Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>,
> >  Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> >
> > I've always found the effect of show-paren-mode pointless (and rather
> > annoying) when writing prose, e.g. in org-mode.
>
> I have a contrary anecdote to convey: when I type text (for example,
> an email message), I sometimes fail to press Shift in time, so instead
> of '(' I get '9'.  Then when I type the closing parenthesis,
> show-paren alerts me to the problem.

If we're in anecdote land, I find show-paren-mode (and any
mode that uses the parenthesis-matching information of the syntax
tables), useful in many situations.  It's very often that I want my
parenthesis balanced in prose much as I do in programming languages.

Emace supports this: for example, in message-mode, you might notice
that parenthesis outside quoted sections are not matched to parenthesis
inside them, and vice versa.  Common smiley faces are also "escaped" :-)

João