Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments

From: Manuel Giraud
Subject: Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 22:32:46 +0200

>> The point is not to discuss whether Unicode makes a better distinction
>> between different kinds of quotation marks and apostrophe.  It does,
>> obviously.  But (1) these characters are difficult to enter on most
>> keyboards, (2) it is not realistic to expect that keyboards will change, as
>> 99.9% users do not need or even understand those subtleties, and word
>
> 100% agreement.  My preference for using a well-defined convention based
> on some existing markup language is that the text is then plain ASCII
> (and hence easy to type and to display) but we can additionally prettify
> it in a reliable way if the user cares about it.

[Hi! old time newbie here trying to follow this long discussion.]

I think that the point (3) of Gregory is important too.

It seems to me that you are refering to the `` Markdown convention. I
think that what Gregory was saying (correct me otherwise) is that it is
useful to have distinct characters to represent opening and closing
quote.
--
Manuel Giraud