Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 12:34:02 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Over my dead body.  prettify-symbols-mode uses static compositions,
> which don't support bidirectional display, and so it's a non-starter
> for human-readable text, such as comments and strings.

I didn't study any of these features yet, so please bare with me as I'm
trying to get my bearings.

You have said before: "So prettify-symbols-mode is semi-okay, as it is
usually turned on in PL modes, where everything is left-to-right."[1]

Does that apply here as well, given that we are discussing files
containing ELisp source code?

And what is the alternative to static compositions?  The `display' text
property?

Footnotes:
[1]  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-03/msg00227.html