Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 08:30:01 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
> Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 12:34:02 -0700
> Cc: yuri.v.khan@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org, rudalics@gmx.at,
>       gregory@heytings.org, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, dgutov@yandex.ru,
>       larsi@gnus.org
>
> You have said before: "So prettify-symbols-mode is semi-okay, as it is
> usually turned on in PL modes, where everything is left-to-right."[1]

For rendering _code_, i.e, symbols, yes.  But here we are talking
about comments and strings, which are a different matter altogether:
they are human-readable text, and we should not prevent people from
writing that text using bidirectional scripts.  By contrast, the
probability of someone calling a program symbol by a name with R2L
characters is ... remote at best.

> And what is the alternative to static compositions?  The `display' text
> property?

If you want to display one character as another, either 'display' text
properties (with string values) or overlay strings.