Re: Patch proposal: display symbol source code in help buffers

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: Re: Patch proposal: display symbol source code in help buffers
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 08:37:56 +0200

Hi Eli,
* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2021-09-20; 08:59]:
>> Here is my second proposal to bring built-in help on par with external
>> offerings.
>
> Thanks.  Like Lars, I wonder why this is needed, given that we already
> have a way to show the sources by a command invoked from the *Help*
> buffer.

I for instance did not know that hitting the `s' key would
show me the source.

> Can you tell how this feature makes a difference wrt what
> we have already?

First one does not have to know about the `s' keys function
in this case, then one does not have to hit the `s' key, its
simply there and easily ignored if not necessary.

Lastly hitting the `s' key opens another buffer in another
window (at least for me) and (also at least for me), at
surprising locations in my frame.  I have a UHD monitor and,
at least the way I configured it, emacs opens up to 4
windows, the help buffer and the source buffer not
necessarily adjunct.  All 4 windows can carry 92 lines, so
there is plenty of room below the text in the help buffer to
show more info.

helpful, the package, made life insofar easier for me.

Ciao; Gregor