Re: Patch proposal: display symbol source code in help buffers

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Patch proposal: display symbol source code in help buffers
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 17:27:05 +0200

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> I'm not against the feature per se, but I'm just puzzled that somebody
>> would want this feature.  :-)
>
> Consider scenario when you are editing some-file.el and narrowed the
> buffer to a defun A. Then, you need to examine source code of another
> function B also defined in some-file.el.
>
> Opening help buffer for B is easy - <F1> f <RET> with point at the B's
> call. However, without source code being shown in the help buffer, if I
> try to hit s, the narrowing is removed and the point is moved to a
> function definition. Not convenient.
>
> Of course, one can create indirect buffer for some-file.el, widen, and
> jump to B's definition. However, I personally find help buffer with
> source code more comfortable.
>
> Best,
> Ihor

Oh, I saw just part of your mail answered by Stefan K (I think) and completely
missunderstood :). Should read entire thread before I answer anything.

I just wrote to Eli in other answer; sometimes when you work with a source file,
it is convenient to just display a source of a function from other file, without
switching to other file.

Sometimes it is convenient to first read the docs, and than to maybe see the
source, and if it is not enough, than to open the source file.

It is all about the workflow, and on per-case basis.

And yes, this one does not screw narrowing at all; at least I have not intended
to.