Re: Declaring 'lexical-binding: nil' obsolete

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Declaring 'lexical-binding: nil' obsolete
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 08:13:49 +0800

Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> writes:

> The roadmap I propose will give you a decade or so to adjust, and even
> then will you only need to change one line per ELisp file for it to work
> just as it does today.
>
> Before then, the worst that will happen is that you will see a warning.

Yes, but is there any compelling reason other than "it's obsolete" to
make this change?

If it's to prevent new Emacs Lisp authors from inadvertently writing
dynamically-bound code, I suggest to rewrite (eintr)Prevent confusion
and other places in the documentation aimed at new users that seem to
encourage them to write dynamically-bound code.  I'm sure that a large
part of the dynamically bound code present today stems from users not
knowing better; instead of a blanket obsoletion, better and more
immediate solutions can be found, such as updating the Introduction to
Programming in Emacs Lisp to not refer users to dynamic binding.

Perhaps a notice in Emacs Lisp mode when creating new dynamically bound
files would also be prudent. (For instance: "This file is being
dynamically bound.  If you don't intend for it to be this way, please
read (elisp)Lexical Binding")