Re: Declaring 'lexical-binding: nil' obsolete

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Declaring 'lexical-binding: nil' obsolete
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 09:30:33 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
> Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 17:50:52 -0700
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
>  Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> Of course we have plenty of compelling reasons, but the main one is that
> we currently have two dialects of Emacs Lisp, where it would be better
> and less confusing to have one.

Actually, we have more than 2: we also have the cl-lib/cl-macs
dialect, and then we have the cl-defgeneric dialect, the pcase
dialect, and probably a few more.  They all look like different
programming languages to me, but that doesn't seem to bother anyone,
and we aren't going to evict any of them in favor of others any time
soon, are we?

> If you read my proposal carefully, I hope it is clear that this
> obsoletion mostly just entails our strong recommendation.

Recommendations should be documented as such (and we have quite a few
of them in our manuals), and perhaps flagged by checkdoc and other
similar linting tools, but warning about them is IMO inappropriate.

> (Note that we already have a warning in the mode-line.)

Yes, and why isn't that enough?