Re: Supporting newer Emacs features in older Emacs versions without warn

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: Supporting newer Emacs features in older Emacs versions without warnings?
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 17:49:33 +0100

Stefan Monnier [2021-09-24 09:14 -0400] wrote:

> Can you guys come up with an idea of how to change shortdoc.el so that
> your package can do its job more easily and cleanly?
> [ Ideally without having to use eval-after-load nor having to require
> shortdoc.  ]

Apart from eval-after-load, what other mechanisms do we have that can
register information before a package is loaded?  There's obarray and
there are hooks, is there something else?

The entrypoint command shortdoc-display-group could, every time it is
invoked, scan obarray for certain symbol properties, or run a hook, to
accumulate auxiliary shortdoc forms, in addition to those that were
already permanently stored in shortdoc--groups.

Thoughts, preferences?  Is there another, better way?

(For now I'm just wondering about the registration mechanism;
the API is a separate story.)

Thanks,

--
Basil