Re: Supporting newer Emacs features in older Emacs versions without warn

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Supporting newer Emacs features in older Emacs versions without warnings?
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 08:51:19 -0400

>> Here I think we want something that's not buffer-local, so we'd need
>> something else.  Not sure what's the best option.  Maybe
>>
>>     (add-hook 'shortdoc-foo-functions #'...)
>>
>> ?
>
> It faces the same problem: shortdoc somehow needs to know about 'foo'
> a priori, for interactive group name completion.

No, I meant for `foo` to be something like "extra" (i.e. a fixed name
that I just didn't feel like choosing at the time I wrote the example).
I.e. there'd be one shortdoc hook onto which packages would hang
their functions that return extra entries.  So instead of iterating through
the obarray you'd only iterate through the list of functions on
that hook.

        Stefan