Re: Emacs default bindings

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs default bindings
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 08:56:14 -0400

>>     a) foo;
>>     b) bar;
>>     c) baz.
>
> This could happen in prog-mode's as well.  For example in shell
> scripts, with the 'case' construct.  Does it mean this mode makes no
> sense in prog-mode either?

FWIW, there's an important difference in that sh-script knows about sh's
`case` syntax and neuters those parentheses, so they (usually) don't
break paren matching.

In contrast in prose, the use of parens as above is just a loose
convention that's hard to properly detect and handle correctly.

I personally avoid that convention because it breaks
blink-matching-paren ;-)

> There will always be corner use cases like that, but they don't make
> the feature generally useless.

And the problem already exists with blink-matching-paren.

        Stefan "who's planning on disabling `show-paren-mode` in his .emacs"