Re: bug#36767: 26.1; request: add more quick keys to the *Help* buffer

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: bug#36767: 26.1; request: add more quick keys to the *Help* buffer
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 23:48:55 +0200

martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at> writes:

>> I agree, but I don't like to see hardcoded *Help* string all over the place.
>> don't think it will change in near future, if ever, but since I have used
>> this
>> in several places, and plan to suggest some other commands for help buffer, I
>> think we can abstract it even further into something like this:
>
> The help buffer is "*Help*" - look at the code of `help-buffer'.

Yes, I know, I have seen how (help-buffer) works :).

>                                                                   The
> problem with using `help-buffer' is that it creates *Help* if it didn't
> exist before.  Do you really want your function to do that?

Yes, the rationale was that for people who use built-in help, the buffer will be
created anyway. The new object will not be a waste, it will be used next time
buffer is created. I didn't thought that somone would see it as a problem.

I was also affraid that something somewhere, would throw me into
degubber. didn't want to accidentally end up in debugger which woudl be a
nuissance in this context. That felt like a punishment for a user who pressed a
button by accident :-).

But I have tested a bit with 'get-buffer' and it just returns silently nil, and
sent you a suggestion for better astraction anyway, the functions'help-window'
and
macro 'with-help-buffer'. I haven't had time to code anything today though,
regarding the patch I'll see if I can sit a moment before I go to bed now.