Re: PR: dired-do-create-files now checks for trailing slashes in the tar

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: PR: dired-do-create-files now checks for trailing slashes in the target
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 21:29:04 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> > With this patch, we can move directories into new directories if we
>> > explicitly end the new name with a trailing slash.
>> >
>> > So `/new_name` renames `/old_name` to `/new_name`, while `/new_name/`
>> > renames `/old_name` to `/new_name/old_name`.
>>
>> Isn't that backwards-incompatible?
>
> It may or may not be, but I'd suggest first to have a reproducible
> recipe that demonstrates the problem.  Because I don't think I
> understand what this is trying to solve.

It solves the problem of moving/copying a file or directory into a
not-yet-existing directory.  So with the above example, you can do

  R /new_name/ RET

if point is on /old_name or /old_name is marked to move /old_name into
/new_name/.  Right now, you need to do

  + /new_name RET   ;; create the new directory
  R /new_name RET   ;; then move /old_name

FWIW, I would find it very convenient if dired would create the target
directory if I indicate it as directory by specifying a trailing /.

Bye,
Tassilo