Re: Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorth

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorthands have landed on master)
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 16:58:24 +0000

Hello, João.

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 12:18:41 +0100, João Távora wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 11:54 AM Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

> > > Using grep and tag systems to reason about a Lisp program is like eating
> > > soup with a fork.  You can do it, but it's the wrong tool.

> > That is a very negative and unhelpful thing to say.  Do you have the
> > requisite background to say it?

> Is there a "requisite background" to express opinions on this mailing list?

Of course.  That is a genuine interest in the development of Emacs.  It
would appear that André has such a background.  However, his earlier
post, the one to which I replied, looked like it could have come from a
troll.  We have had at least one troll on this list in the last few
years, and he caused a great deal of wasted time for a lot of people
before I told him to go away.  I was prepared to do the same again, but
this time sooner.  Happily it turned out this was not needed.

> Must have missed that memo.

Amongst quite a few other things.

> João

> PS: Agree with André, btw. Don't know if I have the "requisite
> background", either.

You do, as you know very well.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).