Re: PR: dired-do-create-files now checks for trailing slashes in the tar

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: PR: dired-do-create-files now checks for trailing slashes in the target
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 18:48:13 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org>
>> Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 16:10:02 +0200
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>>  rudiwillalwaysloveyou@gmail.com, Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
>>
>> `dired-create-destination-dirs' already exists.  But in Rudi's most
>> recent patch version, he added a new one.

>> +(defcustom dired-create-destination-dirs-trailing-separator-special nil
>
> That's a mouthful, IMO.  How about
>
>   dired-create-dirs-with-trailing-slash
>
> instead?

Fine with me.  Rudi, could you please rework that suggestion into your
latest patch?

And please also adjust the docstring of the new option so that it
conforms to our conventions, i.e., first line is a complete sentence
(try M-x checkdoc RET), and everything is filled at column 70.

>> Rudi proposed that the default value should probably be `t' given
>> that this feels so intuitive and the only gotcha is renaming/moving
>> or copying a directory source/ to a non-existent target or target/
>> where the former has rename/make a copy semantics and the latter has
>> move/copy *into* the to be created target/ directory.
>
> Please don't make it t by default.

Ok.

> I'm quite sure you didn't consider all the use cases.  E.g., what
> about foo -> Foo on case-insensitive filesystems?  That is a valid use
> case where the user wants a directory renamed with a different
> letter-case.

You mean, you'd TAB-complete to the same name foo/ and then capitalize
the already completed input so that you then have Foo/ with the slash?
I can see that one might do that if the name is quite long.  And that
use-case would also apply to case-sensitive filesystems.

So fine, let's have if off by default.

> We should only turn it on by default after it has been tested by
> enough users for long enough.

Allright.

BTW, do we need a copyright assignment for this patch?  The actual
change is about 5 lines (including reformatting) but the new defcustom
is about a dozen of lines with docstring, and stuff.

Bye,
Tassilo