Re: PR: dired-do-create-files now checks for trailing slashes in the tar

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: PR: dired-do-create-files now checks for trailing slashes in the target
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 08:06:25 +0200

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Lars, note that we are not talking about a specific command like
> `dired-do-rename'.  The change is to `dired-do-create-files' which is a
> workhorse for many dired commands that need some target directory or
> file, e.g., renaming/moving, copying, symlinking, etc.

Right.  Then it's more invasive than I thought...

Re-skimming this thread, the suggestion is that if the destination
directory ends with a slash, then that directory is created, and the
contents of the source is copied (etc) over to it?

Isn't that just about the opposite of the syntax in rsync?  That is,
"rsync foo/ bar" will copy the files in foo over to bad, while "rsync
foo bar" will copy the directory itself into bar.  (Whether you have a
slash or not at the end of the destination directory doesn't make a
difference.)

So rsync has put semantics on a trailing slash on the source dir, while
the proposal here is to add semantics in Dired to the trailing slash of
the destination dir?

I guess I'm concerned that the semantics here are too subtle (even if
we add a user option to switch between behaviours).