Re: PR: dired-do-create-files now checks for trailing slashes in the tar

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: PR: dired-do-create-files now checks for trailing slashes in the target
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 16:21:50 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I'm against unconditionally changing the behavior based on the obscure
> fact of whether the directory name ends in a slash or doesn't.  That
> slash is ephemeral and users may not be aware to its importance, since
> the semantics of foo/ and foo is the same more or less.

Yes, we're extremely sloppy (in a good way) when handling foo/ and foo,
so it might be surprising behaviour to make this one command assign
different semantics to the two forms.

But it's nice functionality.  Is there some other way we could get this
without relying on the difference between foo and foo/?  A separate
command, perhaps?  Or some extra prompting?