Re: Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorth

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorthands have landed on master)
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 01:21:49 +0100

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 2:17 PM Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

Yes, if we had a more ergonomic syntax for this, then a large portion of
people would be writing

(require 'gnus-summary :as x)
(require 'xref :as gs)

etc etc, since this is what they do in many modern languages (and I'm
not much fan of it there, either).  But since the syntax is the really
awkward

I get your point ;-), but the syntax is not "awkward" (which it is, I admit)
for no reason.

Until you or someone can specify what happens above and below those
forms (in terms of buffer positions), or what happens if the require statement
is in conditional, we can't "make" better syntax.  Thus we need file local values
(which could be hoisted up to the starting comments in a Lisp file, I think).

But better syntax is possible.  You're looking at what SLIME/SLY does with
Common Lisp's CL:IN-PACKAGE (which I believe you're familiar with, since
you've said you like CL's packages).

João