Re: Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorth

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorthands have landed on master)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 19:14:22 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 14:38:02 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Can we please delay the release of Emacs 28.1 until we have these tool
> > enhancements in place?

> These tool enhancements won't appear magically until people start using
> shorthands and bumping into issues that need fixing.

The bumping into has already happened.

How do you propose I find all occurrences of jit-lock-functions in the
Emacs Lisp sources, which up to now I've been able to do with find and
grep?

> shorthands won't be used widely until it's supported by a large fraction
> of installed Emacsen, ....

So we experience the problems for real in 2023 rather than 2021?

> .... so we want to add the essential support for it as soon as
> possible, so that people can start using it for real in Emacs-29
> (knowing then that it also works for people still on Emacs-28).

How am I now supposed to find every occurrence of jit-lock-functions?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).