Re: Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorth

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorthands have landed on master)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:04:58 +0000

Allowing things to not be what they seem adds an additional cognitive load to *everything* you look at, because everything has the potential to not be what it seems, and so I think this makes codebases harder to read and understand, generally.

+1

Perhaps we could alleviate this by requiring that shorthands end with a particular character (like '/' or ':'), so that if you see it in a name, it's probably a shorthand.

I'd vote for '@'. It's not used in core nor in ELPA, it's only used in (very few) MELPA packages.