Re: Emacs as an XLIFF editor

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Emacs as an XLIFF editor
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 23:17:22 +0900

> On Sep 28, 2021, at 22:29, Kevin Vigouroux via Emacs development discussions.
> <emacs-devel@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary <lists@traduction-libre.org> writes:
>
>>> On Sep 28, 2021, at 17:10, Kevin Vigouroux via Emacs development
>>> discussions. <emacs-devel@gnu.org> wrote:

>>> LemMinX [1] is released under the Eclipse Public License 2.0. It
>>> depends on Eclipse LSP4J (license EPL 2.0 [2]). This LSP server
>>> is used by an Emacs LSP mode (lsp-mode).
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/eclipse/lemminx/blob/master/LICENSE
>>> [2] https://github.com/eclipse/lsp4j/blob/main/LICENSE
>>
>> All the applications from Maxprograms are Eclipse 1.0 licensed.  The
>> developer is the editor of the current XLIFF standard (2.2), along
>> with being a top class expert in the localization area.
>>
>> https://maxprograms.com/products/index.html
>
> Yes, but the idea is to be able to parse the sources of the programming
> languages supported by Emacs. I don't know if it's possible, but then,
> from the parsing, build the XLIFF file.

Programming languages supported by emacs already have gettext, documentation
has po4a, and PO is a robust enough format. I'm not sure how using XLIFF for
them would add any value to the process. Also there are PO/XLIFF round-trip
converters already.

Creating a translation file and parsing/translating it are 2 very different
processes and if the goal is to design a translation application inside Emacs,
then creating PO/XLIFF files is fully outside the scope.

There are already plenty of very robust filters/converters that accomplish that
already.

> The final goal is to design a translation application inside Emacs. In
> this case, Emacs should also edit the XLIFF file.

I understand that. May I suggest that you read the thread that I mentioned
earlier if you've not done so already? If that is the goal, the main task is
indeed to properly *edit* the XLIFF file, and probably the way the PO mode does
that for PO can be used as a base.

> OpenXLIFF Filters can’t do that [1].

I never suggested that OpenXLIFF could do that. Maxprograms’ XLIFF editor is
Swordfish. OpenXLIFF is just the filtering/conversion part.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
https://mac4translators.blogspot.com