Re: character sets as they relate to “Raw” string literals for elisp

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: character sets as they relate to “Raw” string literals for elisp
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2021 14:49:28 +0300

> Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2021 10:57:53 +0000
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, rms@gnu.org, juri@linkov.net, db48x@db48x.net,
>   stefankangas@gmail.com, yuri.v.khan@gmail.com, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> > But Emacs already automatically translates those punctuation
> > characters at display time in your case, ....
>
> Not satisfactorally.  All these characters have homoglyph face on them,
> which is ugly and I don't like.  (It would be confusing, and thus worse,
> without this face.)
>
> --- (EM DASH) appears as an inverse question mark on my screen.  So do
> several other punctuation marks, I think.

That means the display-time replacement doesn't happen, I think.  What
is your terminal-coding-system?

> > so what exactly is the problem you want to solve?
>
> I want to be able to search for @code{foo} by typing the six keys:
>
>     C-s ` f o o '
>
> , like I could with previous versions of Texinfo.  I want this by having
> these characters in the buffer, not by some clumsy workaround in isearch
> (which I think was tried some time ago, but wasn't really satisfactory).

Then please talk to the Texinfo developers to provide a kind of output
that leaves the quotes and other punctuation intact, while keeping the
non-ASCII characters in names in their UTF-8 encoding (which will, of
course, show as inverted question marks on your console).  Emacs
cannot do anything to satisfy your request, as long as the Info files
are as they are, and I will object to us changing the contents of the
Info files in the buffer.